Saturday, May 28, 2005

Knitting in the Rain

I had today all planned out. We were going to head for the park early, before it got too hot to move. The kids were going to burn off some energy and I was going to do enough laps around the park to make up for the workouts I missed earlier this week. Ideally, I was going to get up early and spend some time with the boxes before we left. That part didn't happen, but since I was awake most of the night with the baby I refuse to feel guilty about it. I'll play with boxes when I'm done with this.

Two seconds after we stepped out the front door, I felt the first isolated drops of moisture. Halfway through our first trip around the park, it started to come down hard enough for me to finally admit that it was raining. We finished the loop, then ducked inside to watch the volunteer carvers work on the carousel horses. And by the time we came out the crowded playground was empty, wet stuff had stopped coming down from the sky, and the baby was sound asleep. So I found a good bench, tucked the baby's blankets around his little toes, and pulled out Clapotis.

It's a good thing I hadn't started another sock. I needed four skeins worth of acrylic to drape over my legs because it it's practically cold out there. Thirty degrees cooler than yesterday. But Quinn was warm in the stroller and I had my cozy WIP, and the big kids were having too much fun to notice when it started to sprinkle and the park cleared out again. It happened three times just while we were there. A single drop would fall, and everyone would pack up and head for their cars.

For a while there, I thought I was going to run out of yarn, but the kids decided they were ready to leave first. Seven more rows, and I get to start the decreases. If I can figure out how to fix that little mistake I made when I misread the instructions.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails