Friday, August 20, 2010

day six

I really hope I get my sewing machine back in time for this --



Doesn't that look like fun?

I'm on the sixth day of my ten day baby quilt challenge, the third day without my sewing machine. Five of the baby quilts are done, another is ready to be pin basted, and another just needs the binding handstitched into place. I've got a slim hope that I'll manage to finish another top on my Featherweight or one of my daughter's machines (which she can't get to work, so that's a very slim hope), but even if I don't, six quilts isn't bad.

I absolutely could've finished ten quilts if the Janome wasn't at the repair shop. I've written deleted a couple of entries about how unhappy I am that it's there again when I just spent a small fortune having it cleaned and serviced in March, and haven't been able to use it for two of the months since then. And then the woman tried to convince me I needed to have it cleaned again...

Luckily, I've been able to find some ways to distract myself. Yard Sale Treasure Map has got to be one of the neatest websites I've found. You put in your starting point and how many miles you're willing to drive and it spits out a list of yard sales with driving directions. It's great for me, because I still don't know these little towns well enough to plot a route on my own.

AND you can search the ads for things like baby clothes, or tools, or....fabric. Yippee!

I stopped at one sale on the way to the grocery store this afternoon and for $15.40 I got twenty eight new packages of jumbo ric rac, and almost thirty yards of fabric. Most of it is Joann's Snuggle Flannel in prints that'll be perfect for backing the baby quilts. Some was far quarters still with the carboard and stickers. None of it looks very old at all.

I think I'm most excited about the ric rack. Just to go out and buy that much would cost fifty bucks (yup, I stopped and priced it while we were grocery shopping!) Now I'm trying to remember all of the neat ric rac ideas I've seen and been too cheap to try...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails