Thursday, August 04, 2011

I'm full of ideas for new projects right now, but since I'm going to have to pack up the sewing corner next week it's probably better to just keep finishing up my UFOs. I don't need to create a whole new mess.



My unfinished stained glass window wall quilt hung on the wall in my sewing room for five years. It was one of those "let's get together and try that" projects and once I had it fused it was time to quit for the day and I pinned it up in a safe place to protect it from my offspring.

At the time, I didn't have any clue how to quilt it. And once I did know how to quilt it, I'd totally lost interest in the project. It could've hung there forever. I'm signed up for the Stashbusters UFO Challenge this year and so I've now got a list of my abandoned projects, every last one of them. And this is one I can finish without too much time or effort.

For the past few years, I've been sure that the fusible applique had failed. I knew all of the leading in that stained glass was loose and that I'd have to try to get it back into place and quilted down. Quilts do funny things when you're not looking at them. My window was all in one piece. (Buy my daughter's has completely separated, so maybe I was thinking of hers.)

I quilted just inside the edges of the black fabric -- no chance of it ever budging now! And I'd decided to do itty-bitty stippling on the outer edges to add some texture. The quilting went fine, but there's no texture. All of that fusible web is keeping everything absolutely flat.



In a perfect world, I would have used black fabric as the backing. My sewing room is far from perfect -- there's black in there somewhere, but I wanted to get this project done, not spend the next week looking for my backing. I debated using the same white stuff that's not cotton as I used on the scrappy little tree. And then I saw the dark purple flannel on my ironing board. I've got yards of the stuff. It goes with the black and the colors in the landscape. And it doesn't look like I grabbed any old thing just to get my project finished today.

I do need black for the binding, though. And I'm trying to resist the temptation to just go out and buy a quarter yard to get it over with.

2 comments:

Chloe m said...

What type of sewing machine would be good for a beginner?
This is a hobby I could see myself getting obsessive over during the winter months. :)
Rosey

Becky said...

Love that quilt sooo different.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails