Tuesday, January 31, 2012

January NewFO

Except for a couple of baby quilts and the square for Jo's Quilt Square Quilt Along, I've been sticking to my UFOs this month. I got the top for Quinn's green Trip Around the World together, got most of the blocks for my Extra Scrappy Pinwheels together, and finally started quilting my Double Irish Chain.

So why am I doing the NewFo Challenge when I've already got projects to work on? Because I've also got projects that I really want to make, but never quite get around to starting.

I thought I knew what my January NewFO was going to be, at least until I sat down and really read the directions Monday afternoon. The block wasn't assembled the way I thought it was. The directions were very text-heavy and scattered through the book and I just didn't have the patience to sit down and read through pages and pages, let alone re cut the strips I'd hoped to use.

So I went back to my original list and decided to try a spiral log cabin block. I already had the box of 1 1/2" strip out for my Quilt Square Quilt Along square. Sometimes having the fabric right there in front of my is my biggest reason for picking a particular project.



I'd been putting this one off because it looked hard. She says right there in the instructions that you've got to be thinking when you do this. But once you get going, it makes perfect sense where the strips should go.

I'm still not quite sure where the final strip goes, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

To see what everyone else is starting, hop over to Cat Patches. And don't forget to enter my 1000th post giveaway. You could win a whole stack of the quilting and knitting books that make my heart go pitty-pat.

7 comments:

Angie said...

I love this block and the colors you are using. :) Thanks for including a link to the tutorial.

Denise :) said...

Yeah, what Angie said! I've always wanted to do one of these, too. How big does the one you've got pictured measure? :)

Lynette said...

hehe Yeah, sometimes I just don't want to think hard enough to figure out complex instructions. Cool spiral.

Barbara said...

Beautiful, Michelle. I'm so glad you joined in!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I used Beth's tutorial for making the spiral blocks - it might help

http://www.lovelaughquilt.blogspot.com/2010/03/spiral-log-cabin.html

KaHolly said...

Good job staying focused!! It's so difficult not to start something new.

Sue Daurio said...

That looks great! Some of the those blocks ya really have to be in the right frame of mind. I think that's why I like strings, there's no frame of mind at all required for those. But your log cabin looks awesome

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails