Thursday, December 06, 2012

antiquing in an old barn

I think it was last year that I started seeing signs along the highway for Brewster Barn and wondering what that was and why they needed so many signs. Eventually, I found out that they sold antiques and decided we should pay a visit.
 
Last week, we had enough time to detour in that direction.
 

I'd seen the barn from the road before, but once we turned down the driveway, I started to wonder what we were getting ourselves into. There was a sign in the front yard of the house that told us to honk twice. So I gave a hesitant couple of honks and drove on to the barn.  It was Alex who saw the sign on the big barn doors telling us to slide to open...

And so we slid the heavy door just far enough open to slip through and made our way inside. The building, especially upstairs, was massive. They didn't have a lot of quilts, but I loved the  way they were displayed.


This yo-yo quilt caught my eye
 

And so did this....thing... What is it? I've seen the pattern for a sock elephant, but aside from having four legs and a long thing sticking out of its face, it doesn't look anything like an elephant. I'm thinking it's a narwhale with legs...
 

A Google search turned up an ebay listing that described a sock donkey with a unicorn horn, but there were no pictures to compare. Does that mean there's more than one of these creatures out there? Maybe it was supposed to be an elephant but its creator gave up and left off the ears?

If you've got any theories, I'd love to hear them!

This post is linked to Time Travel ThursdayTreasure Hunt Thursday,  and Vintage Thingie Thursday.

5 comments:

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

What a gorgeous Yo-Yo quilt. That sock monkey unicorn looks ..... well, are there words?

Allie said...

I would love to browse in there! Not a clue what that sock creature is, very strange, lol!

Tami Von Zalez said...

Oh man, that is sock monkey gone awry! Visiting you from VTT.

Come and join me for my Countdown to Kitschmas.

thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

Jo said...

That sock "elephant" is a little awkward. My Kayla collects monkeys but that one...I don't know if I like it!!

Pamela said...

That little guy is very interesting to say the least. Thanx for coming to THT!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails