Thursday, January 31, 2013

these blocks make me happy

Little Trips wasn't one of the NewFOs I had on my list for 2013. Then I started seeing everyone else's Scrappy Trips Around the World and pulled out Quinn's green quilt to finish it. And I saw that Karin at Cascade Quilts had made some blocks with 1 1/2" strips...
 
You know there's no way I wasn't going to try that!  
 
 
I love the bigger blocks made from the 2 1/2" strips, but these are something else entirely. It's easier to get 1 1/2 x 9" strips from my scrap bags, and they're just more fun. The blocks don't take that long to piece, but selecting and pressing and cutting the fabrics is going to be a long term project.
 
I'm trying to see how many blocks I can make without duplicates.



I've got yellow magnifying glasses left over from the binding of my Nancy Drew quilt, and some orange spiderwebs Mom gave me, which I love because they're orange spiderwebs!, and that green leafy pattern is from an old print with moths and flowers. I had a brown colorway of the same print and used it in a lot of my first scrap quilts. It's the one Heath could always pick out from a distance, so we'll see if he notices it in this one...if I let him  close enough to the finished quilt! Those pink flowers on the black background look an awful lot like some fabric I had fading problems with in an earlier quilt, but they aren't.

I'd planned to start my Keep Calm quilt for my February NewFO, but now Alex wants a low volume quilt and I just bought the neatest pattern for a star quilt. I guess I've got until tomorrow to decide between the possibilities. Maybe this challenge is helping me with my quilty self control....or maybe I'll wind up starting all three!  

This post is linked up to the NewFO Challenge at Cat Patches.
 
 
 

11 comments:

Missie of Traditional Primitives said...

I love the look! Very nice!

Saska said...

I've made several Scrappy trips, but haven't thought about doing the 1.5" strips. Oh wow....do you need more novelty prints???! haha

I used Bonnie Hunter's method for mine...they always turn out so cute!

Kelly Vetch said...

Ohh, Scrappy's are my favorite and I love this one! :)

Quilting Babcia said...

Your 1 1/2" strippy trip quilt is going to be wonderful! My leftover strips are all pretty narrow too, think I'll need to bite the bullet and make one of these.

Ray and Jeanne said...

I love the scrappiness! I think it is time I try a trip quilt - I love the look of yours! ~Jeanne

Nanna said...

your quilt is looking great! I'm doing this quilt for my NFO too
Helen

Anonymous said...

Scrap quilts fascinate me. I love the idea of making each block of different fabrics, but even with my huge box of scraps don't have enough variety. So I'll just cheer you along.

Barbara said...

Great scrappy project!

CitricSugar said...

Oh, no! You had to mention 1 ½" strips… I just finished my Trip and now I'm going to have to start another one. :-)

Tami C said...

I really think that Bonnie's Scrappy Trips is contagious. I might have to do another one myself!

Cascade Quilts said...

they are super addicting, aren't they? I have so many projects, can't wait to get back to my 'tiny trips'!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails