Sunday, September 29, 2013

Look what turned up in my attic...

Sadly, I can't blame this one on the house.  The previous owners left a lot of interesting stuff behind, but this came with me. I just didn't know it had come with me until I stumbled across it last week while I was digging through boxes in the attic.



Quilters talk abut ugly and dated fabric. Well, if this stuff doesn't win the prize, I don't know what would --

It gets worse. There's a four yard length of fabric there. left over from my high school sewing days. One edge is uneven and I can see where I cut a neckline and sleeves. How much of this did I buy and what on God's green Earth did I make out of it?!  Because I seriously have no memory of it.

The scarier fabrics of the 80s seem to be making a comeback.  Teenage Daughter requested a detour to the mall down in Eugene last month and I thought one of the stores was going to make my eyes bleed. (I've always thought that was a really mean thing to say, but now I've actually experienced the feeling myself.) Every awful article of clothing from my teenage years, and they somehow made them worse.  Seriously, who would take the tasseled print polyester scarves my grandmother wore in her real estate days and make them into blouses to market to teenage girls?!

This was going to be a post about how I threw away my fabric mistake from twenty-some years ago, but it's actually a decent quality cotton and there's a lot of it. I think I'll run it through the wash to get out that stored-in-the-attic smell and use it as foundations for string blocks.

Because if you've ever read this blog before, you know I can't get rid of fabric that has any possible life left in it.

Weekly Stash Report

Fabric Used this Week: 0 yards
Fabric Used year to Date: 62 yards
Added this Week: 0 yards
Added Year to Date: 233 1/4 yards
Net Added for 2013: 174 3/4 yards


Yarn Used this Week: 0 yards
Yarn Used year to Date: 2950 yards
Yarn Added this Week: 0 yards
Yarn Added Year to Date: 9500 yards
Net Added for 2013: 6550 yards

I'm linking up to Patchwork Times and Finding Fifth.

11 comments:

http://thankfullga447 said...

What a surprise you found. I found some fabric from 1981 and it is white with blue flowers and I loved it.

Carol Swift said...

Interesting fabric. When I think back to some of the fabrics I sewed with in the 70's and 80's...scary!

Needled Mom said...

At least it's not a polyester knit! ;-)

Barb Neiwert said...

LOL, you probably can't remember what you made with that fabric because often times our minds block out information that is just too hard to handle!

Sweet Woodruff said...

It's truly awfully wonderful. :)

Samantha said...

I use that "type" of fabric for quilt backs on our utility quilts. I figure they are staying here AND who is going to look at the backs anyway? :D

I remember a lot of those fabrics and I own a lot of them as well! One time I made this purple with large black polkadotted blouse in the mid 80s. You remember the kind, huge puffy sleeves? :D

Jessica Hadden said...

I was thinking quilt back too! Especially if its quality cotton.

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

Cut it up small to put into scrappy quilts, if you think it is still ugly you didn't cut the pieces small enough. Bonnie Hunter said that, and I have been living that rule for some time now. You will be amazed how nice a quilt can look made entirely of UGLY fabrics.

Beth in MN said...

I can sure understand how you would not be able to toss good fabric because I wouldn't be able to throw it either - no matter how ugly. Besides, they just seem to work in Bonnie Hunter quilts!! LOL
Hugs -

Catholic Bibliophagist said...

Actually, I kinda like that fabric.

--C.B.

Tammy said...

I like it too. I don't think it looks old and dated. I think it actually looks really modern.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails