Wednesday, June 25, 2014

{Yarn Along} Rhinestone Jesus


The Flamingo socks are coming along, sitting on the edge of my treadle for evenings when I have a few minutes and need to keep my fingers moving.


I've been reading Kristen Welch's blog, We Are THAT Family, for years. When she started Mercy House, a maternity home in Kenya, it boggled my mind that someone could create something that amazing, from scratch, halfway around the world. After reading her posts, I could completely understand why it was needed, but how one mom in America could make it happen was beyond me.  As soon as I saw her posts about her book, Rhinestone Jesus: Saying Yes to God When Sparkly, Safe Faith Is No Longer Enough, I knew that I wanted to read it, if only to find out how she accomplished what she did.

We have very different ideas about parenting. It's safe to say that I'm never going to take my kids to Africa or do anything as huge as Kristen has done, after reading her book, especially the story of one of her blog readers who, with a very well-written letter to just the right people, accomplished something huge for Mercy House I can see the thing that I should be doing. It's not something I can post about here, not right now at least, but it's something that might make a difference. Or, more likely, add up with what others are doing to make a difference.

For more fun projects to drool over, check out On the Needles at Patchwork Times and Work in Progress Wednesdays at Tami's Amis


Disclosure -- The publisher provided me with an advance ARC.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I MUST read!

Ramona said...

Your socks are wonderful... love the colors. Thank you for the book recommendation. It looks like one my women's Bible study would benefit from reading. Have a great day!

Judy S. said...

Pretty socks and interesting post. Thanks!

Dar said...

Love the color of your socks. The book sounds very interesting and I will recommend it to a friend that I know will love it too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails