Saturday, August 16, 2014

Pretty Stitches

I'm not sure how many books of knitting stitches I own. There are the Barbara Walker books, Knitting on the Edge and Knitting Over the Edge and the first few Vogue Knitting Stitchionaries...

Now I'm wanting to add these two to my collection



I don't love the spiral wire binding on this one. It makes it difficult to flip through the pages and I know that pages will eventually tear loose. They key to the symbols is buried in the back and I'll wind up copying the necessary bits of it onto the pages with stitch patterns I actually plan to use.

But I do really love that the stitch patterns are charted for both flat and circular knitting and that many of them come with instructions for both top down and bottom up versions. From what I can see, the ones that don't include both sets of instructions are the ones that you can just flip without noticing the difference.



There are some gorgeous patterns in this book. I don't know how many of them I could find in books that I already own and I'm not going to lose too much sleep or valuable knitting time trying to figure it out. I think the key for the symbols is the most confusing I've ever seen, but for some of these cables I'm willing to decipher it.

While I was Googling how to spell "stitchionary," I stumbled across this very condensed version on the Vogue Knitting website. There are only a handful of stitches, but what's there is gorgeous. I've got some sock yarn that definitely wants to be knit up as Snakes in the Sand.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails