Monday, February 16, 2015

Something New

Last August, I stumbled across the nail polish quilt pattern  from Fat Quarter Shop and knew that I was going to have to make one for my daughter. She's as passionate about her nail polish as I am about my yarn and fabric. You can see her creations on her blog, A Girl and Her Chicken Named Betty. One of my favorites is still the Nancy Drew Mani she did when I made my Nancy Drew quilt. 

She needs a nail polish quilt, but the one bottle version isn't going to do it. So I'm using the scaled down version from Bee in My Bonnet.


And making the bottles all the same shape isn't  going to do it either. Real nail polish comes in all sorts of fun colors and shapes, which is going to make it much easier to find polish-worthy fabrics in my scrap bags.


I've been tracing images with my hot iron transfer pencil and I was furious when I saw what I'd done with the lady and her powder puff. That was a lot of tracing -- why couldn't I see the problem with the letters before I wasted a chunk of fabric and my hard work? I would've lopped them off. Or maybe redone just the letters and ironed it on in two pieces.  They say you can get more than one impression, but I haven't tried it with the penciled images.


This post is linked to Design Wall Monday at Patchwork Times and to A Quilting Reader's Garden.

2 comments:

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

nice!!! Marla from Marla's Crqfts made this quilt for her grand daughter for Christmas, and I am going to make it soon...Love it!!!

Laura said...

I've also been thinking about making a nail polish quilt, so I'll be following your progress.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails