Thursday, October 15, 2015

A Tiny Bit of Halloween Sewing & Some Paper Plate Bones

I found this wonky felt bat tutorial on Pinterest a while back. More than anything, it's those eyes that I love.

felt bat

Choosing the best possible buttons to stack for his eyes took me longer than cutting out the felt or sewing it together. I've got two jars full that came from Grandma's house (not to mention the jar from the antique mall.) I wanted ones that were the right size and color, but weren't too old or too neat. Now I'm wondering where the worn bone buttons with the chipped edges came from. I'm guessing they're from the antique mall and not a family member's clothing.

Whatever their provenance is, I like those buttons a lot. They'll need a special project to be part of.

paper plate skeleton

The paper plate skeleton is another project I found and wanted to do last year, but didn't get around to. I'm not going to admit how many times I bought paper plates and then used them for food before I finally made this!

My original plan was to make this one with the boys, but I'm glad I didn't. Cutting paper plates into bones is a lot harder than it sounds. I don't love how my skeleton looks, but the way the bones are loosely strung and bounce and sway whenever someone moves quickly past (that's the only way the kids in my house move) makes me smile.

I'm linking up to Crazy  Mom Quilts. You can find the rest of my Halloween to do list here.

1 comment:

Gemini Jen NZ said...

Oh that is such a cool way to do the eyes! I love it - gives 'him' a real cute-factor! Fun, fun, fun!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails