Sunday, November 15, 2015

My Favorite Quilts

Whims and Fancies is hosting a Trunk Full of Quilts blog hop. I'm a bit late to the party, but I couldn't resist showing off some of the quilts that I'm still swooning over, even years after making them...


Nancy's Mysterious Quilt is still my favorite. I've got a tote that I made from the extra fabric and carry it just about every time I leave the house to run errands.


The twin log cabin quilts came to be because I was helping a friend follow the Quilt in a Day log cabin pattern over the phone. She had the book, I had the book, and after looking at the instructions and explaining them to her so many times, I decided I might as well make my own. Except I was going to use 1 1/2" strips and as many different lights and darks as I could find in my stash. On December 7th, I decided that I wanted to make my grandmother a log cabin quilt for Christmas and that I wasn't going to give up my own. I managed to finish both tops and get hers quilted by Christmas Eve. My own top got quilted a couple of years later.


I had so much fun with those log cabin blocks that I made a Courthouse Steps quilt, which got revamped later as Moab or Sedona?


My husband had to work on my 38th birthday, so I pulled out a white sheet, cut a bunch of dark blue scraps and started making myself a quilt. Including the batting, thread, and thrift store sheet I used as backing, I made the whole quilt for less than thirty bucks. Which makes me happy. I know that I can keep quilting even when money is tight.


For Grandma's Donuts, I followed a pattern from an old magazine and made a cereal box template to cut the wedges.


Leif's Snails, which I finished back in 2009. This is one of those rare quilts that I bought brand new coordinating fabric for. Looking at it now, I think it looks hard... but at the time I plunged into the project without even thinking about it. How does that even begin to make sense?

Most of my quilts are scrappy - the more fabrics the better.


For this postage stamp quilt, I cut 2 1/2 squares of every drab and brown fabric in my stash.


For Cheddar Bow Ties I used every fun little print I could find in my scrap bags.

A few years back I realized that I was making more quilts than me and mine could ever use, so I started making baby quilts for a couple of local organizations. It's been the perfect solution. I can play with just about any color combination or pattern that catches my fancy and, if I really truly love it, I can always make a bigger quilt later for myself.


I've got new favorites, but they're not finished yet. The Nail Polish Quilt and my challenging scrap quilts would all be here if  they were finished.

Online Quilt Trunk Show | Whims And Fancies

13 comments:

Carol Swift said...

I'm always impressed by your quilts and this trunk show of yours really shows some of your beautiful ones. So many pieces in some of them...wow!

Needled Mom said...

Those are wonderful. The Log Cabin would be my favorite. Love the colors.

Laura said...

Thanks for sharing your quilts.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Your approach to quilting is much like mine. Thanks so much for sharing your gorgeous quilts.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Nice trunk show--my favorites are the log cabins!

krislovesfabric said...

Oh, I remember that wonderful Nancy Drew one :) Great quilts!

Quilting Babcia said...

I especially love your log cabin and courthouse steps quilts. Scrappy is the way to the most beautiful quilts, in my opinion. Thanks for sharing from your quilty trunk!

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

Thank you so much for sharing. Wonderful quilts! Love the Nancy Drew one :)

-Soma

Leanne Parsons said...

I love the blue and white star quilt, and all those baby quilts are so cute!

Karen H said...

I love the blue and white star quilt too and think it is great that you made it on a shoestring budget. One of my earliest quilts was also a snail trail and it does look complicated. I had no one to tell me otherwise (I am self taught) so I just jumped in and made it and it the end it turned out beautifully. It was a great learning experience and I expect that yours was too! Thanks for the lovely trunk show.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

I enjoyed peeping into your quilty show today! I really love "Grandma's Donuts" and "Cheddar Bow Ties"... lots of scrappy goodness there!

Kim said...

Love your 30 bucks blue and white beauty!! It has been a joy to gaze upon your gorgeous quilts. I love, love, love scrappy quilts.

Sally said...

Nancy's Mysterious Quilt is my fav too (and caused me to buy all the Nancy Drew fabric I could find when I first saw it!!) I really love them all and you inspire me on a regular basis! thanks for sharing these beauties.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails