Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Not Quite Fiddly Enough



I'm dragging my feet here. The cuff of the Fly socks, with all of those bobbles, was fiddly and intricate. The heel was a technique I hadn't tried before. The foot is just complicated enough that I can't do it without thinking. Every other round, there's a tiny little two stitch cable. It's pretty, but I keep wondering if it's worth the effort for that itty bitty detail.


The Dead House by Dawn Kurtagich is the story of two sisters sharing a body. Carly is present during the day and Kaitlyn is there after the sun goes down. They communicate by leaving messages for each other's. Carly's therapist insists that Kaitlyn isn't real, that she's a symptom of Carly's dissociative identity disorder. Their story is told through diary entries, psychiatric reports, and the testimony of witnesses. It's intriguing and creepy, but I was pulled in more by the unusual format than the plot.

Pretty Baby by Mary Kubia kept me turning pages until the end.  When Heidi Wood sees a homeless teenager on the train platform with a baby in her arms, she wants to do something, anything, to help their situation. The moment passes too quickly for her to make a decision. When she sees the pair again and gets a second chance, Heidi invites Willow and her daughter into her home. Her husband and daughter are horrified. How can it be safe to trust a complete stranger?

This post is linked to Yarn Along, Frontier Dreams, and Patchwork Times. The books are from the library.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What pretty socks! I like the color and all the little details are so nice.

Carie @ Space for the Butterflies said...

They are such pretty socks though, I'm sure the effort will all be worth it :)

Caffeine Girl said...

I sometimes wonder about the wisdom of doing fiddly socks, too, but those are really pretty. I think they are worth it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails