Saturday, November 28, 2015

The Death of my Kindle Fire



After a slow, lingering decline, my first generation Kindle Fire finally charged its last charge earlier this week. My best guess is that its loose charging port, which was an issue with the first Kindles, finally gave out. I hate that it died, but I really have no complaints. The device lasted four years, which is longer than I expected. Between me and the boys, it was in almost constant use for books and apps and streaming video. (And Minecraft. Lots and lots of Minecraft.)

Teenage Daughter, who is busy with other non-Kindley things, has been kind enough to let me use hers until I get a replacement. So I can still watch Netflix in my little sewing nook. These days, I do most of my ebook reading on my new-to-me iPhone 4s. I usually need to be close to the phone and using it instead of the Kindle means there's less thing to carry with me.

If you want to give ebooks a try but aren't sure you'll love them, install the Kindle app onto your smart phone. There are lots of free books available and many libraries have ebooks available as an option.

Everything I loved when we first got our Kindles still applies. Now the question is whether I want the new, inexpensive one or something with a few more bells and whistles. For what I do, I think I'd be just fine with, and less intimidated by, the fifty dollar one.

4 comments:

Dora, the Quilter said...

I do love my Kindle Fire--although the first one was defective and Amazon replaced it six months into its life. Between now and the end of the year, they will have some great deals on new ones.

I just moved my most-used sewing machines to a room without a television. It never occurred to me to watch movies or shows on my Kindle, but I'm thinking that might work better than my laptop when I'm sewing. Thanks for the suggestion.

(My first Kindle is from waaaay before Fire--but the advantage is that it will automatically read the text well enough for me to do something else while listening.)

Auntiepatch said...

I don't go anywhere without my Kindle. I'm on number 4 now. I still have the original one, and it still works, but I wanted to "upgrade". Number 2 lasted about 3 months and Amazon sent me a replacement right away. Number 3 lasted about a year, long enough to out-live the warranty, and then started having the port problem and died from lack of a charge. I've had number 4 for about 6 years now and it's going strong (knock wood). I only use it for reading but it's always with me. The best thing about it is that I can read in bed without turning on a light. I can read without disturbing my husband and if I wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep, I just read until I'm tired. I love it.

mckie2 said...

Thanksgiving day they had that 50 dollar one for $35. Don't know if the offer is still available. Check it out if you don't need the bells and whistles. I almost got one just because, but I talked myself out of it. I thought I didn't need another device but now I see I could use it in the sewing room.

Katie M. said...

lots of Kindle deals at Amazon right now.... I thought about buying another Kindle for just this kind of situation - still might :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails