Wednesday, March 02, 2016

Can You See the Faces?



I love these little faces, enough to tackle a pair of top down socks to get the effect of wide open mouths. The heels are something different, increasing for the gusset stitches while knitting the heel flap instead of picking them up later. I still don't claim to understand how that works.

I was having too much fun knitting little screaming faces to worry about it. It's a fun device for horror movies, but it's also a real thing. The phenomena of seeing faces where there aren't any is called pareidolia. This article has an interesting quote from Leonardo da Vinci about seeing images in walls that are "spotted with various stains or with a mixture of different kinds of stones."  I know I've seen faces in the bedroom wallpaper when the room is bright enough to make out the flowers but it's earlier than I can convince myself to get out of bed.



Pattern: Faces in the Wallpaper Socks
Yarn: Knitpicks Gloss Fingering, Velveteen

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Those are neat. Good luck with the heel. Im sure you will get it figured out.

Jo said...

CUTE socks. Wonderful work!

Deb said...

I love the illusion of faces, looks like a worried ghost. Love them.

Jill said...

Love the little faces in the lace. Nice work.

Judy S. said...

Fun Socks!

Melissa said...

What's the name of this sock pattern? I like the heel and would like totry it.

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

My Dad always sees faces in everything! Nice job with the socks. I hate trying new methods in case they don't work out...I stick with the tried and true. The gusset method sounds interesting. Cheers! Evelyn

Dar said...

Your socks are too cute. Yes, I can see those little faces! What is the pattern for that heel technique. That sounds interesting and wonder if it has a specific name. My current favorite is the Eye of the Partridge heel.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails