Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Universal Food Chopper No. 2

What can you tell me about meat grinders? I'm trying to figure out if we have all of the pieces of this one....


This was in a box in the shop and we don't know if it came from my paternal grandmother's estate or Hubby's mother....or Grandma's antique mall. We also don't know if it has all of its parts. Hubby and I both think there should be some kind of bell around the blades, but none of the similar grinders we're finding on etsy or ebay do. There's a thread where some sort of attachment would go.




Is there supposed to be more to this? If I had any idea what was were missing or what it would look like, I could check the rest of the boxes in case more parts are hiding.

6 comments:

Laura said...

Sorry I can't help you. My mom had one when I was little, and I remember her using it, but I was too young to know how it went together. Hope someone knows!

Heather said...

i was curious and went and watched several youtube videos. It looks like you are ready to go. put your meat in the top, crank and out it comes at the side. The wing nut holds the cutting plate which could be exchanged for a different size, fine, medium, coarse.

VickiT said...

I am fairly positive you have all the parts to that grinder. My Mom used one alot when I was younger and I think possibly I ended up with hers as well. I don't know if I still have it though. No, to your question about some sort of bell around the 'blades'. You put a bowl underneath to catch the meat as it goes through. She would grind up cheap cuts of meat to make her own ground beef at times where she ran into a great sale at the grocery store. Mostly though, she used it for something she used to can which had meat in it and for the life of me, I cannot think of what it was. All I do remember is that I thought it was gross when she tried to serve it. LOL

Nancy said...

It looks like it is all there. Why don't you try a potato thru it? My dad would always run a potato thru after grinding the meat to clean all the meat out.

mckie2 said...

It can be used with just those parts. They do come with other size blades though. My mom use to use one when she made spaghetti or ham salad. Maybe other things too. For spaghetti she ground up geen peppers and onions, not meat. We could get hamburger easy enough at the grocery store. She didn't care to do more work than was necessary. Not sure why she felt the need to grind the vegetables.

libertymen said...

Your blade in the first picture is in backward .The blade sits on the metal cutter housing. If the blade were a lampshade the bottom against the housing is the wider part. Then your nut goes back on. This is afood chopper,not a meat grinder. It will grind meat,just not that easily.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails