Thursday, June 30, 2016

More Sewing for the New Stove

This is something I probably should have made for my kitchen a very long time ago.


As soon as I drape a kitchen towel over the handle of the oven, it's gone. With five other people walking through the kitchen, most of the time I don't even know who to blame. Half of the time, Hubby is blaming me when I've got the towel in my hand because I'm using it. 

Over the years, we've had a couple of different hanging towels with velcro. Those were a pain and got stuck to the other towels. I wound up throwing them out. 

Pinterest is full of tutorials for hanging towels with cute buttons, but I don't do buttons without a very good reason. I also don't have the patience to make bows in cute little ribbon ties....and you know someone would tie it to the oven with a double knot and I'd wind up having to cut it loose. 

A few weeks ago, I saw some hanging towels that used a big buttonhole to secure them in place. No buttons to fall off. No velcro. I love buttonholes about as much as I love zippers, but I was willing to give it a shot. 


This is not a buttonhole. It's a big slit with two layers of zig-zag stitching around the raw edges. (So yeah, it's pretty much a buttonhole. But I didn't use the magic foot or worry about what size it was going to be, so it doesn't count as one.)

These are the tutorials I was inspired by and then was too lazy to pull up and actually follow:

Buttonhole Hanging Dish Towel  -- This one is easier than what I did and the method I think I'll use if I make more of these with real dish towels.

Fancier Hanging Dish Towel  -- This one is prettier than mine and would make nice gifts, especially if the towels were embroidered.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's actually a really clever idea! I solved my problem having a friend volunteer to make three of the button ones for me. =)

colleen said...

I buy my kitchen towels at IKEA and they are so easy there is a bit of (?) twill tape on the back of one corner on the diagonal so you can loop the towel through to stay on the stove handle

It would be so sew easy to sew a bit of left over bias across a corner to make one

Jo said...

I love this idea. Colleen's idea sounds good too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails