Wednesday, May 03, 2017

{Yarn and Books} Please Trust Me...It's There!


(Edited to add -- I figured out what angle to hold the camera at, so I replaced the picture.)

These socks have the most amazing basket weave texture. In real life, you can see it from a couple of feet away. In the pictures, though, the knits and purls get lost in the subtle stripes of the yarn.  Maybe by the time I finish the pair, I'll figure out how to capture it with my camera.



The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining Women by Kate Moore

I'd heard about the dial painters years ago in high school science class, and seen their story on  those history shows my sons are always watching, but I never realized how truly awful the industry was. The way it was explained to us in school, the victims were silly girls who didn't know any better. But lip, dip, paint was how they were taught to do their job and were continued to be taught even after the dangers of radium were known. What happened to those young women, and the lengths their bosses went to to cover up the facts and keep their factories open, is horrifying. The book is well-written and will haunt me for years to come. Once the author gets to the drawn out court battles, the pace starts to drag a bit, but it's worth reading through to the end.



All the Best People by Sonja Yoerg

There was one scene in All the Best People that I  absolutely loved. Other than that, I had a hard time getting through the book. It explores some fascinating ideas, but the plot builds slowly and shifts between characters and didn't hold my interest.

Disclosure -- I was provided with advance review copies by the publishers. All opinions are my own. This post is linked to Patchwork Times,  iknead2knit, and  Frontier Dreams  

1 comment:

straythreads said...

that is a great basket weave and love the colors!! Is the basket weave 2 rows of knit then 6 k, 6 p for 2 rows and repeat the sequence?
thanks for the book reviews the radium girls sound fascinating
have a great weekend

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails